Evaluating YOUR Data Management or Earth Science Application Project
This hands-on workshop will guide participants through key steps and questions used in evaluation of data management and Earth Science projects. A central goal is to make evaluation more accessible and useful. Participants will learn the distinctive features of evaluating Earth Science data and applied research projects such as the need to demonstrate contribution, not attribution, and value of assessing program progress as a stepping stone to longer-term impact. They will learn how to identify users of evaluation and the ways the evaluation can be used.
With the help of a unique five-question matrix, participants will be able better define how their programs are meant to work and plan an appropriate evaluation. They will also learn how to select evaluation design, measurements, and methods. Several data collection tools applicable to the data management and applied research projects will be presented, including contribution analysis, research panels, and crowd sourcing. The session will incorporate case studies and plenty of discussion and interaction in small groups.
Instructors: Kseniya Temnenko, Joshua Joseph, Ph.D.
08:30 - 10:00 AM – Introduction to Program Evaluation
· Welcome and Introductions, Overview of Expectations
· Small group exercise: “what our programs are achieving and what’s holding them back”
· What is program evaluation and how it can be used?
· What are they key steps involved in program evaluation?
· What are the distinctive features of evaluating your data management and Earth Science application project?
10:00 – 10:30 AM – Coffee Break
10:30 AM - 12:00 PM - Practical Exercise: Program Planning and Impact Matrix applied to your project
12:00 -1:30 PM - Lunch
1:30 -3:00 PM- Practical exercise: Planning evaluation of Your Project
· Who are the users of your project’s evaluation?
· How will evaluation be used?
· What evaluation design should be used?
3:00 – 3:30 PM – Coffee Break
3:30 - 4:30 PM – Practical Exercise: Continued
· What evaluation methods and data collection tools should be used?
· Building feedback and learning into your evaluation process
· What are the follow-up steps?
4:30 – 5 pm Wrap-up
· Overview of today’s learning and resources for planning and implementing evaluations
· Building momentum and moving your project forward
NEW** Pre-Workshop Survey: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/965693/ESIP-Evaluation-Pre-Workshop-Questions