Earth Science Collaboratory Hackathon
ESC RAMADDA Hackathon:
- collaborate on data and knowledge exchange
- open source collaboration
- feature set implemented on a framework
also want to try out HubZero
What do we want to get out of these types of sessions?
- Will want to give the users something to do to get more out of these types of sessions
Who is the target audience of ESC?
- We want to get ESIP folks, practitioners,
- HubZero is pricey
Reinforce: relationship between ESC & EC, as being a genuine opportunity. EC a bit chaotic, unsure how to take form. Next step in EC to have a set of funding. Would be a real opportunity to have the volunteer environment combined with some funding opportunities.
- General idea behind EC & ESC interaction, trying to get our parts of visions
- very set in their ways, land cover maps, updating burn severity maps
- very dependent on commercial tools
- collaboration features need to fit in with current
- Effort to have personas in DataONE, describe both more than just what the persons educational background and interest and how they will use and take advantage of that system.
- We have classes of user stories in wiki.
- What need features you would like to see?
How to frame use stories:
- Basic statement of problem
- Basic collaboration features to make process go better/faster/cheaper
- User Story: focused on use cases
- Human Factors: getting into psychological/sociological effects of systems. (micro: person & macro/groups)
Top-down architecture: will probably not be able to get that with 2 or more agencies
following in semantics the open world assumption
- you’ll need to bring another set of resources into system, which will need to make it fully open
- emergent system
Chris: its really a true ecosystem
- bats and birds and bugs, filling flying creature niche
- we need to support various niches’ as long as they are being filled in the way they need to be
What is the purpose of ESC?
- Affect development, bring into being a framework that allows end user to collaborate
- we should step back reframe, and grow as ecosystem
- we should be thinking hard about selection pressures so that the ecosystem grows
- We have no implementation army, we need to work on selection pressures
We have the niche problem/stories and we’re trying to create a collaboratory that responds to several of these
- System has to be open
- Ex. Data citation