Discovery Cluster Planning
- Discuss the status and plans for the Discovery Request For Comments to be submitted to NASA's Standards and Processes Group.
- Develop, review and populate the Discovery Implementation Coverage Matrix that summaries the feature set of capabilities.
- Discuss plans for going forward with the ESIP Geoportal
- Prepare for Grand Challenges Session (link)
- Other Topics?
Discovery Planning Breakout Session Notes
Discovery RFC; Memo for NASA Earth Science Data Systems on standards
Section 7: description of what doing, OpenSearch document but also data casting
Yoshi commented so added data casting. Need Ruth to check data casting is correct; can make changes directly in document
Added more introductory material: data casting is whole framework without the query, which is provided by provider
Atom is still preferred syndication format
[comments in doc show required/optional components for cliff's notes on document]
Search terms: optional, but expect at data set level but not granular
multiple search terms separated by '+' which is equivalent to boolean 'AND'
Discussion: why not use space? Default behavior versus special keywords. So the plus should be in URL
Put a plus, or put a plus or a space
Agreed 'AND'…but need to take back to labs, keep figuring out string
Default behavior for multiple terms is 'AND'
Time extension: optional. If use follow OpenSearch extension
slash in response to separate date range
Spatial extension: optional
having a minimum bounding box
Recursive OpenSearch queries: optional
drilling down to more specific queries
Characterizing atom link elements
How deal with versions of netCDF? --> see what rest of community is doing. Does client care that much? Most can handle 4. Matt: look around to see if acceptable way to encode (by next week)
Characterizing OpenDAP link elements
Make note: don't have to send back all 6
Parser resolves namespace so lose version. Added space to enable xpath discovery. Redundant about the version, but not a big deal
what version getting is not specified
disambiguate notion of version: not the dataset, left to providers
Error handling: required
resolves error for success with no returns
make bulleted list names (no URLs)
need to name check
add something about conformity; not up to standards yet bc didn't have them
Implementation coverage matrix
fill out which feature sets are being used/popular/planned but not implemented
add column root suffix OPeNDAP link elements
add columns for 'or' and 'not'
Anything else should add?
every time have RFC have reference implementation: useful?
simple enough to already implement in applications where need to use it
but an aspect of compliance testing useful if can do cheaply: gain v. cost
a quick sanity test. Need default: grand default of what to do if ask to do something canon (circle search)
have a template of capabilities
Not sure ultimately…accumulate some compliance resources
Propose writing up, Funding Friday this summer….
ESIP Discovery mail list for questions/issues/ambiguity
Put in RFC, explain ongoing change processes 9end of implementation section]
RFC Action Items
- Ruth and JPL Representative(s) - check the Datacasting section in RFC
- Ruth (or other) - update document to state Datacasting as an "advertisement" and "page rank" in RFC
- OpenSearch Focused Members - take a look at the Datacasting section in RFC
- JPL DAAC Rep - Write RSS specification in RFC
- Eric - "+" is in URL, not in the data that gets parsed by the server (create DCP?)
Eric - Find default behavior for searchTerms in OpenSearch ("space-delimited")
- Note, Chris was correct in stating there is no default "boolean" behavior, but the default delimiter is a "space" character
- Chris - update spec to explicitly state that recursive OpenSearch queries imply subsetting operations (as opposed to broader or related search)
- Matt - look for different ways of representing MIME types for netCDF3 vs netCDF4 (or HDF4 vs HDF5)
- Chris - For OPeNDAP, make a change to denote that not all 6 response types are required
- Chris - Disambiguate notion of versioning to ensure we're not talking about dataset version (which is left up to the providers)
- Chris - Add bulleted list of implementations (with or without URLs)
- Chris - Acknowledge in Implementation section that most servers and clients "loosely conform"
- All - Update the Implementations section of the RFC with your implementations
- Chris - Add note at end of implementations section that any issues should be reported to the ESIP Discovery mailing list
Implementation Matrix Action Items
- Hook - add "root" entry point column for OPeNDAP link to Google Doc
- Hook - add columns for "OR" and "NOT" for boolean search capabilities
- Chris - Reach out to Pedro and Yoshi to try and get more implementations on the Google Doc
- ??? - add AEROSTAT to Google Doc
- Chris - Reach out to UAH and SCS (Ken Keiser or Helen) for Google Doc contribution