Commons Governance Meeting Minutes
Commons Governance Meeting minutes for Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2pm EST
Carol B. Meyer
On the agenda:
Looking at final governing document
talking about selection of a style guide
How do the commons content steering committee get selected?
· Type-reps defined (3 of the 4 types)
· Work-group liaison or Ad-Hoc team ?
· Steering Committee will consist of type reps or their designees
· If the commons actively evolves we may want to have a larger group but, make sure don’t have to continuously explain details of the process
· Distributed governance makes less work for committee
· Products and services making a move towards more towards administrative functions
· Having the steering committee represented by the content members themselves
· include the Vice Pres (executive committee visibility and specialists representatives)
· They select a chair from within the group
Also- talking about some kind of a style guide
· Exemplars suggested- science or common journal style guide
· Linked three to the bottom of the Gooogle Docs Doc
· Each of these are combo of submission guides and workflow plus manuscript format for submission
· We will need to adopt something similar- workflow- may differ for different content areas
· (ex: posters different than manuscripts or whitepapers)
· Workflows- need to not be too divergent- considering Drupal cm. structure
· Templates- to fit within the capabilities of the content management systems?
· David- you could start with a default template and then diverge only when necessary
· Return, review, publish- content editors could have their own mix – who they select as editors but fitting within a more standardized workflow.
· workflow issues recently the content was being developed quickly enough that it wasn’t appropriate for that type of content
· The white papers may go through more rigorous treatment
· As people choose not to revise- how long do we keep it- how long til we throw it away
· Maybe some issue with storage later
· Tag that an administrator can specify that only an administrator could change?
· Probably the lightweight way to go.
· Instead of the workflow being defined by the editors – we may want to have a limited number of workflows associated with the content types
· Editors could choose from a specific number of content types three degrees of strength to acceptance- Scenario for content like meeting content
· Tagging approach work for the micro article type- we could go for the tagging route and see how that works- leave it to the content editors to tag-
· Versioning or version comparison- gets to the content side of things- philosophically- do we want to push more content into the management system as data or as pdfs
· Preference to submitted content- usability and reusability
· Contention the website would make it more search able than just the linked pdf
· PDF is less able to be manipulated
· Part of the idea is to move away from the PDF to actual HTML
· PDF becomes more of the presentation layer
· Decision to have steering committee pick the style guide- have the engagement from the content area editors
· Start the selection of the steering committee
· put this on the agenda for the next executive committee meeting
Next meeting is TBD à arrangement of the steering committee by executive committee.