According to OGC specification, catalog services support the ability to publish and search:
- Collections of metadata (representing resource characteristics)
- Catalog services (required to support the discovery and binding to registered information resources)
- Other related information objects
- GetCapabilities: Allows CS-W clients to retrieve service metadata from a server
- DescribeRecord: Allows a client to discover all data model supported by the catalogue service
- GetRecordById: Retrieves the default representation of catalogue records using their identifier.
- GetRecords: Allows record filtering using a single filter element that can contain a potentially complex filter expression