Earth Science Collaboratory March 2012
Proposing ESIP Meeting Sessions
"Hackathon" for technical workshops?
- Choose a collaborative platform and attempt to populate and/or use it.
- Would require some prep work, learning about the platform, capabilities, how to use
- NASA Earth Exchange
- Session on enabling technologies?
Innovation session--choose 1:
- How the Collaboratory could enable scientific innovation
- How innovation might be used to implement the Collaboratory
- Consensus favors #1
This led to a discussion on the relative roles of Human Factors and User Stories
- User stories are "longitudinal" descriptions of use cases, benefits and requirements
- Human Factors are pervasive considerations for implementing the Collaboratory, but does include some requirements
Also discussed whether Scientific Innovation had relevance to decision makers
- Distinguish high-level federal agency from field offices and state agencies
- The latter may be conservative in adoption of innovations due to limited budgets
Focus on innovation in inter-disciplinary and cross-disciplinary science
- Maybe also citicen science
Technological: planning a EuroGEOSS broker hackathon
- Also looking at two other technologies
- Part of selected EAGER proposal for EarthCube
- Recent ROSES/CMAC proposal call has a section targeting collaboratories: Come back in August to see who was selected, whether there is a possibility in leveraging the results of the proposal
Earth Cube: 6 technical experiments, 4 community governance groups
- The groups first need to decide how to work together
- User Stories: looking at framing stories as Before ESC and After ESC
Lynnes, C.; Earth Science Collaboratory March 2012; Telecon Minutes. ESIP Commons , April 2012
Submitted by superadmin on 2012-04-25 22:23.