Discovery Telecon 2012-10-09
- Debrief on Visioneers Committee: Grand Challenges
- Updates on the ESIP Discovery RFC
- Winter Meeting Brainstorming Session
1) Debrief on Visioneers Committee: Grand Challenges
- Final theme: From Climate Assessment to Intelligence to Action
- This is the "use case set" to consider with
- What about federation/discovery fits within this "grand-challenge" theme?
- Discovery is mostly focused on data, but it could also be used for documents documents…
- Curt Tilmes could be useful in making the jump from documents to data
- Ruth has a NSF proposal in this space, but still very "theoretical"
2) Updates on the ESIP Discovery RFC
- Chris has been pulling content from the DCPs into the RFC
- Authors of the DCPs are included as authors of the RFC
- Copyright issues… will need to do some kind of hybrid Creative Commons license
Requests for input:
- Should there be a diagram for recursive OpenSearch queries? (Follow up, Event trace or block diagram)?
- Would like to finish by end of October
- Chris will be sending frequent updates to Discovery list and also "pre-external" reviewers
3) Winter Meeting Brainstorming Session
- Spend the meeting outlining the use case from the visioneers theme
- Use the rest of the time to outline a direction for the solution
- Plan a hack-a-thon for the July meeting to help solve the grand challenge
- Sometimes group gets too far off track discussing near term solutions, but thats also one of the strong points…
- Would it be a good idea to do an NDA to ensure people don't steal each others ideas?
Other ideas that don't fit in with the theme? (or preferably do?)
- When to move the GeoPortal server into production? This could probably be handled in a telecon meeting
- At the face to face, could have a walkthrough/tutorial on validating OpenSearch services and -casting feeds
Potential Topics for Winter Meeting
- Grand Challenge use case design and solutions outlines
- GeoPortal validation tutorials
- [All] send questions/comments/proposed contributions on RFC to mailing list
- [Chris] Find out if Christine is attending the Winter meeting.
- [Chris] Contact Erin and find out if there's more information on the theme.
- [Chris] Send out proposed abstract for "grand challenges" session at winter meeting.
- [Chris] Spawn discussion about whether a business meeting is needed
- [TODO] Schedule make-up meeting for November to discuss DCPs (Tuesday, Oct. 30)
- [TODO] Get an update from Christine and find out when the GeoPortal server can go into production.
Lynnes, C.; Discovery Telecon 2012-10-09; Telecon Minutes. ESIP Commons , October 2012
Submitted by Rozele on 2012-10-31 11:34.