The set of ESIP Discovery services encompass the overlapping conventions of Earth science federated OpenSearch, Collection Casting, Granule Casting, and Service Casting feed standards. To help lower the barrier of entry, we will provide a set of hands-on and simple approaches to using Discovery services. These include walking through some "low-hanging fruit" approaches to calling OpenSearch, Collection Casting, Granule Casting, and Service Casting. We will also cover a hands-on usage of the current Discovery Testbed based on the Esri GeoPortal server. See Discovery_Hack-a-thon_Details for additional resources.
What's the Plan? Get together to make some simple Discovery clients! All are welcome, no previous experience or coding skills necessary! Two back-to-back sessions on Tuesday July 17: 1:30 - 3:00, and 3:30 - 5:00.
Notes by Angela Murillo
Perl: Open search module
- Application ideas: search and fetch
- Use built-in XML
- One of easiest way is to digest XSL – XSLT
- Can generate, cvs,
- Saxon uses command line
- parsing and publishing Atom
- OpenSearch Query engine Parses OpenSearch
Example from Doug
- web app from scratch
- KML file to Open Search
- Extract bounding box
- have break out groups so we can go to different rooms and screens so people can see examples on screen
- chat interface or separate webex’s for each group
- attainable goal/preplanning
- produce results in short timeframe, having something prepackaged
- provide a package of things that can be downloaded
- less prep more coding
use case that is already set
- adding search and access into the use case
- people ready to work on problems in real time
- what should that challenge use case be: ex. Analysis and search, search and something else.
Within discovery how do you ingest it, consume it, from end to end lifecycle
- are there certain segments that this lifecycle needs to be more focused on
- What should we focus on as a community group?
Discover: both Search and Access & Advertising
- do we want another hackathon or do we want to extend beyond that
- whatever we work on should include both casting and searching
- planning meeting on Friday, should discuss