Discovery April 2012
Planning for the ESIP Summer Meeting
Not necessarily bad for Discovery to have limited sessions
- We don't need as much planning,better to integrate across sessions
- Need to collect participants at the Discovery cluster meetings
- Try to gauge what people are interested in through polling
Get the code written during the hack-a-thon to become "community property"
- Could use GitHub
- Have slides showing how to checkout/checkin code
Brokering and Beyond - A glimpse at the Future of Global Data Sharing
- Related to Discovery (overview of the concept of brokering)
- More closely aligned with ESC
- Done a lot of work deploying services and working on standards
- Last "missing link" is how to enable more clients to actually use services
Presenting a few "low-hanging fruit" ways of accessing services
- Shell script w/ wget/curl
- Idea is to show people how easy it is to access discovery services
- Ruth: Could it also be about the server-side? What about: "This is all you have to do to service-cast your data"
Would also include time for the testbed.
- Want people tinkering with the testbed
Need to have mentors / teachers for each area
- Should there be a Perl area, Python area, CSS/XSLT, etc.
- Designate some points of contact for after the session
Put together a resources page for each "dialect" of the hack-a-thon
- Also can throw together a presentation for each
- Ideally, people would be able to bring something home with them
- Ruth could mentor for NSIDC's services / casting tools (at the simple level)
- Email list if you have an OpenSearch service you want to develop clients for
- Thomas could mentor Python
- Some would want to see more "enterprise-level" clients, like Java
- Could give a Groovy example for Java developers
Best if there were multiple services to test clients on
- Revisit / update the list of OpenSearch services
Metadata Casting for Data, Services, & Events/Topics
- Talking about casting standards
Open Source Software evaluation - ESRI's Geoportal Usability Test
- Some discussion of OpenSearch when reporting usability
Discovery Planning Session - Need to be added?
- Can this be merged with Brian's Metadata Casting?
- Could do a planning meeting on a telecon
- A lot of the things we are doing for Discovery are overlapping with ESC
ESIP Testbed: Encouraging Technology Innovation for Earth Science
- There will be an update from ESRI on discovery testbed performance
Update on DCPs
- See Discovery Change Proposals
- This was not merged with DCP-7/8
- Chris will put out poll for this, action item noted
Is Ruth's group interested in writing DCP-5?
- Ruth's not sure that someone is writing this up
- Since there are no better ideas, Ruth will write up NSIDCs solution to this
- This DCP only got 5 votes.
- Chris could have sent out more nag messages
- Hook says this is ready for vote
- Hook will be posting the link to the poll
- Polls should be posted on the cluster announcement page
- Brian's generalization of the OPeNDAP links (DCP-4)
- Not sure when this will be done
- Testbed might be available through Amazon
There isn't a specific way to deploying a testbed
- Erin was happy to have ESRI be the guinea pigs for deploying a testbed
- Will be setting up a vanilla GeoPortal on Amazon
Some outstanding questions:
- How much does it cost?
- How to give people access / logins?
Contributing to GeoPortal
- The way to test use cases is to submit services to the GeoPortal
There were people interested in developing
- Products and Services team suggested GitHub for SCM
- Speak up soon if you don't like GitHub!
- Procedure: Post changes to GitHub and ESRI will test this
- Looking for people willing to test GeoPortal and report bugs / things they don't like
- Looking for people willing to document
- Send Christine your URLs to OpenSearch and data/service casts
GeoPortal has various roles
- need to identify people to approve content
- a technical PoC for Amazon problems
GeoPortal in Summer Meeting
GeoPortal may be relevant to Chris Mattmann's open source sessions
- reply to Chris's request for presentations
- Talk to Steve Brody for information about the broker session
There may be a "GeoPortal corner" at the Discovery Hack-a-Thon
- Dedicating 25 minutes may not be possible
- ESRI can get a list of Discovery services from the same page being used for the Hack-a-Thon
"Relax NG" Validator Service
- Brian is not on the telecon, so this is being pushed to the next telecon
- Anyone: Add your OpenSearch service to the list of servers!
- Chris: Put out poll for DCP-4 at the end of the meeting
- Ruth: Write up NSIDCs solution for valid parameter values for DCP-5
- More detailed planning for the hack-a-thon (logistics/follow-up/etc.)
- Think about offering a VM that people can use to deploy Discovery technologies
Previous Action Items
- Chris or Hook will deprecate DCP-2 and DCP-3 on DCP page
- Brian will work on generalized version of DCP-4 (Pedro will contribute examples for WxS)
- Chris will send out Doodle poll for DCP-4
- James will update examples for DCP-4 with details and additional examples (also include all the different OPeNDAP MIME types) (also, try to use real links) (also put an example with a "length" attribute)
- All review DCP-6 if interested (only a few hours left!)
- Hook will continue to tweak DCP-7 before voting
Submitted by superadmin on 2012-04-25 22:03.